Recently, I found myself and some of my clients complaining that they were being logged out of the web hosting services on both the South African Hetzner and cPanel services. I had no idea what was happening as I was drowning in work and when I finally got a chance to log in, I experienced the same problem.
After a 20 second call with a support agent Hetzner, who pointed out the problem came from Telkom, I spent 45 minutes trying to get my calls answered and when I finally got through, the call center proved fruitless.
After some digging around on the internet, I eventually found a working solution.
- The first step is to log in to your Telkom Router: http://192.168.8.1 (or your router IP address if using a custom router)
- Go to “Settings > Dial-up “
- And then “Profile Management”
- The old profile name will be TelkomSA and will be set as the default. You then need to create a new profile with the following details:
- Profile name: unrestricted
- IP type: IPv4
- APN: unrestricted
- And then leave the rest of the fields blank.
- Save and set the new “Unrestricted APN” profile as your default profile. The noticeable change when connecting to the internet is your our IP address will change from 197.x.x.x to 41.x.x.x
Please note that the settings work on any device that you use to login to the internet, so your WiFi router or mobile device can be configured to work with the new profile settings.